Saturday, July 18, 2009

When on Google Earth 68

I figured out the Viking age Kanhave canal, Denmark, posted by Troels as WOGE 67, so here is my challenge for WOGE 68:



If you can identify this site and its main period of occupation, then post your comment below. You can always join the new Facebook group to keep up to date with WOGE. I'm still having trouble inserting the list of previous winners and sites chosen so far, but you'll find it at the link to WOGE 67 given above.


The Rules of When on Google Earth are as follows:

Q: What is When on Google Earth?

A: It’s a game for archaeologists, or anybody else willing to have a go!

Q: How do you play it?
A: Simple, you try to identify the site in the picture.

Q: Who wins?

A: The first person to correctly identify the site, including its major period of occupation, wins the game.

Q: What does the winner get?

A: The winner gets bragging rights and the chance to host the next When on Google Earth on his/her own blog!

8 comments:

  1. That's Termessos, Turkey - a Hellenistic-Roman site (at least from 4th c. BCE to the Roman period).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just taken a look at Termossos and I can see why you suggested this, but unfortunately it's not the right site.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, the two sites look pretty similar in GE ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. A clue of sorts: the site is in a country that hasn't yet featured in WOGE.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I got it now: Butrint, Albania. I've been there, so it's funny if I got it mixed up with Termessos! Chronology: covering at least 10th c. BCE to 18th century CE or so. Am I right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Right this time, Troels - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK - WOGE 69 is now up: http://www.iconoclasm.dk/?p=806

    ReplyDelete